Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Reminder Badge

I am very forgetful. I'm praying that it's not cerebral atrophy and hoping it's just post-prego/breastfeeding hormones and the busyness of chasing three littles all day that are affecting my memory. On two different occasions this week I couldn't remember Ella's birthday or her middle name. It wasn't even a quick stumble of words or right on the tip of my tongue; it was completely lost!

Today at the library Evelyn and I (and Ella, too, but she was sleeping in her seat) enjoyed our first Toddler Time of the year. Jack attended a preschool class by himself. I was gearing up for at least one tantrum or embarrassing outburst during the 25-minute class. But Evelyn was perfect. She clapped when she was supposed to, talked appropriately when she was called on, danced with all the right moves. So rather than be thankful and savor that moment and love on my sweet girl, I began to compare her to the other children in class. "Wow, glad Evelyn isn't doing that. Whew, happy that isn't my child." I'm gross. I know it.

After class finished a mom approached me whom I hadn't seen since last Spring's session. She walked right up to Evelyn and looked at her forehead. "Oh, how is your little head? The last time I saw you, you had a big owie." Whoops. That's right. I forgot about that.

The last time we attended Toddler Time, Evelyn was running around like a wild animal. She pushed a child out of her way, tripped over a ginormous stuffed sea turtle and hit her forehead on the corner of a wooden box. The bloody goose egg appeared instantaneously and after much insistence, I rushed her to the doctor. (I earned like 10 badges in the span of about 15 minutes.)

Busy comparing my perfect daughter to the "others" this morning, that little incident had slipped my mind. Thank you, lady.

And so I was gently reminded (again) that at any moment either of my daughters and/or my son could slip into this "others" category. In fact, the majority of the time when we're out, I would classify them as "other". Why is it that for one brief moment of good behavior I forget that at any second, I could be one of the "others'" mothers or an "other" myself?!

I'm finding more and more that I'm so quick to judge, so low on grace and so slow to thankfulness.

I'm certain I miss out on the blessing of joyful occasions because I'm busy comparing myself, my husband, my kids, my house, my whole life to others who apparently don't have it so good at the same moment.

But just give us a minute or two and something certainly will go awry and we'll all fall into a different category -- the frazzled mom, the annoyed dad, the naughty kids, the dirty-floor house, the disorganized life.

Here's to hoping that next time I'll remember -- "There but by the grace of God go I."

2 comments:

  1. Love it . . . an eloquent expression of our common experience. Can't wait until the next onee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post...I happened to stumble upon your blog because we're both currently reading Brennan Manning :) Keep up the amazing work, may God use you and bless you richly!

    ReplyDelete