Friday, April 29, 2011

Saying No to Systems Badge

My husband Michael is always trying to systematize my life. Why would a responsible woman like myself need that, you ask? Well, because I lose things a lot. A lot. I never set things (keys, debit card, wallet, phone) down in the same place. Therefore, I am constantly hunting for them.

Yesterday at Meijer I buckled the kids in and unloaded the groceries from the cart into the car. At some point during the span of those two events, I misplaced my keys. Whoops. I looked all over the front seat. Not there. I looked behind my seat and in my purse. Not there either. Hmmmm. I knew they had to be around somewhere. I was, after all, sitting in my car that had previously been locked before I clicked it open two minutes beforehand. So, I got out of the car and opened the trunk where the groceries were. Nope. My one last hope before I freaked out -- I opened the sliding door and aha, there they were tucked behind Ella's car seat.

I got back into the driver's seat and sat for a minute thinking about the ridiculousness of this situation. I thought, "I need a system. I need to always set my keys in the same place." Then a new thought occurred to me. "I don't need a system. This is good for me."
  • Searching for my keys keeps me on my toes. (I never know where they might end up)
  • Searching for my keys keeps my brain stimulated. (As a mother of three littles, I am in danger of brain muscle atrophy)
  • Searching for my keys increases my critical thinking skills. (I'm thinking of many different places my keys could be and many different scenarios that will play out if I can't find them)
  • Searching for my keys builds my character (patience)
  • Searching for my keys develops my spiritual life (Dear God, where are my keys? Please help)
Forget systems. I would forego so much personal growth if I implemented them.

Today I lost my phone. I scoured the house inside and out. I could not find it anywhere. So, I got on Facebook to find someone online to call it for me (Critical Thinking). I've had to do this several times. My great friend Julie Gleason was live on chat, so she called my phone a bunch until I found it sitting on the roof of my van in the driveway. Add to the list:
  • Searching for my phone helps me build relationships and rely on others (Hey FB friend, can you call me?)
All that to say, I'm thankful for the growth in my life due to lost keys, phones and other personal effects. Keep it coming.

A few asides:
  • I did get up at 3:45 a.m. to prepare for my Royal Wedding Party. It was a riot. I haven't laughed so hard in awhile! Pics are on FB.
  • I have a bite on my eyelid that I thought was a bite, but then today I thought it was a pimple. So I kept picking at it and now it's so swollen I could barely see out of it earlier. Gross. I think it is a bite. All my neighbors told me they didn't even notice it while we were playing outside today. Liars. "See that giant pink unicorn that just landed in the front yard?" "Uh, nope, what are you talking about?" My eye now protrudes like Dobby the house elf! Great look for my 30th birthday weekend!
  • Have you ever read the children's book, Have You Filled A Bucket Today? I totally recommend it. It's a really easy way to teach kids how to be loving and thoughtful.

2 comments: