Friday, February 24, 2012

It Is OK Badge

I am not a fun snow day mom. I'll just admit it straight up - I hate snow days. I like the structure, routine and sanity that school brings. I feel guilty admitting that. I think I mostly feel guilty about it because I have some friends that are snow day moms. They love it when their kids are home unexpectedly. And since I don't and I actually enjoy it when my kids are gone for the day, well, what kind of mom am I?

I'd brag about being a snow day mom if I were one. Let's be for real, Facebook is full of status updates from snow day moms! "Watching my little love bugs frolic in the snow while getting hot cocoa ready. Ahhhh. Life is good." But I feel like I have to hide the fact that I'm a "I want my kids at school and yes, a play date for the afternoon at your house mom." What would I, a non-snow day mom, post as a status update today? "Kids watched Netflix over breakfast while I laid in bed still fretting over the snow day. Played play doh for five minutes. Too overwhelmed by the mess. Kids are watching Netflix again." Seriously. No one posts that.

As I'm writing this I just got a text from a pregnant girlfriend that says, "Tell me it's OK that I feel like a MAC truck has hit me and I need a nap 23 out of 24 hours of the day. Oh, and that my kids have watched 2.5 hours of TV already today."

Is it OK? Hell yes it's OK.

Why is it OK? Because while I may not be a snow day mom, a Pinterest mom, a crafty mom, a farmer mom or sometimes even just your average friendly mom, there are a lot of things I am. Good things. Fabulous things that make me the most amazing mom to the four kids I've been given the privilege to raise. I would make a list, but I don't want to get too snow day mom status-updatish. :)

And just to be clear, I'm not bitter at the snow day moms. I do make fun of them (to their faces, not just publicly in my blog!). But I'm glad they're out there. My kids are really glad they're out there. They teach me things and inspire me and let me sit in their kitchen while they organize crafts and make the cocoa. And I think the feeling is mutual. They learn from me and what I'm good at.

So, cheers to the snow day mom! I see one out my window just this minute. And I'm perfectly OK with the fact that I'm not out there frolicking with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment